I blame my husband. When we started dating, we loved going to parties, huddling up together, watching the world go by. It had to be in one of these moments that he shared that there are two kinds of people at a party: double dippers and those who are repulsed by double dippers. (If you don’t know, a double dipper is someone who dips a chip in a sauce, takes a bite, and dips the same chip in the sauce again.)
If you aren’t down with the double dip, it’s a total buffet buzzkill and something you just can’t un-see. Turns out, Doug and I were a match made in single dipper heaven.
Enter my Individual 7 Layer Dip. While I didn’t create the dish to avoid the dreaded double dip, it certainly is a bonus.
And if it’s true that we eat with our eyes first, you want food to look appealing. A platter of 7 Layer Dip looks beautiful when served; it’s festive and colorful. Unfortunately, the minute people start dipping, it soon looks like an unappetizing mess.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up, I thought I would offer up this classic party favorite served a new way. Each layer is bursting with flavor and addictively delicious. People go crazy for these eye catching single servings and I love the pop of color from the lime garnish.
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ lime
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped tomato
- thinly sliced green onion
- 8 (9 ounce) clear plastic cups
- 1 lime cut in wedges for garnish
- tortilla chips
- Reheat and stir refried beans. Mix in 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning.
- Squeeze ½ lime and add a pinch of salt to sour cream. Stir and adjust seasoning.
- To assemble, layer about 2 Tablespoons beans to bottom of cup.
- Add layer of about 2 Tablespoons guacamole.
- Add layer of about 2 Tablespoons sour cream mixture.
- Add layer of about 2 Tablespoons chunky salsa.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Add layer of chopped tomatoes and top with slice green onion.
- Garnish with chip and wedge of lime.
- Serve with chips and cut vegetables for dipping.