Ready for your new favorite dinner? This insanely delicious pasta is a total winner. Each bite is loaded with flavorful Italian sausage, fresh mushrooms, and sweet peas in a marinara sauce. I love when simple ingredients come together to make beautiful food.
It is basically a version of “Pantry Pasta.” I put together things I normally have in the house to create a blow your mind meal. This pasta came about when I was in a pinch making Lily’s school lunch. I rummaged around the refrigerator, started to cook, and created a pasta so good I almost didn’t send it to school with her!
When something is really drop dead delicious, I call it “bite of the night.” This pasta will no doubt be your new favorite “bite of the night.”
- Olive Oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
- 24 ounces marinara sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- Grated parmesan cheese, optional topping
- Chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, optional topping
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook until golden brown. Break up lumps with wooden spoon.
- Remove sausage from pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms release their liquid and evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas, cook 3 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan.
- Add marinara sauce and combine.
- Bring to a boil and lower immediately to low simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sauce to pasta and combine.
- Optional for serving: top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or Italian flat leaf parsley.