Is there anything better than a classic Wedge Salad? It is one of my favorite salads and if it’s on a restaurant menu, 100% I’m ordering it. It’s a very simple production of iceberg lettuce, tomato, bacon, bleu cheese and dressing. Even though it is straight forward, I find a Wedge Salad done right, delicious and satisfying. The combination of the crunch of the lettuce, the creamy dressing, the tomatoes, and bacon all work for me and totally hit the spot. In short, it’s just crazy good.
To the chagrin of my mother and nutritionists everywhere, I happen to actually like iceberg lettuce. I’ve heard the case against iceberg lettuce and still don’t care about its lack of nutrients. Let’s be honest, if I’m topping a salad with bacon, cheese, and creamy dressing, I’m pretty clear upfront that nutrition is not what I’m after. Iceberg is a crisp, sturdy lettuce that offers a great crunch and holds up perfectly under a creamy dressing.
When I was asked to bring a salad to a recent Memorial Day BBQ, I brought a huge platter of Wedge Salad. It’s easy to assemble and aside from the homemade dressing, it’s just a few simple ingredients. My colorful Wedge Salad totally popped off of the buffet table and looked beautiful. It was refreshing, delicious, and gone within minutes. It was a hit!
Make your guests happy and put this on your table for Father’s Day or your 4th of July BBQ. There is something classic and old fashioned about a Wedge Salad. It’s a perfect and easy addition to your weeknight routine and a crowd pleaser at a party.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- ¼ cup Italian Flat-leaf Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives, minced
- 1 cup real Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ½ teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ cup Buttermilk (add slowly for desired consistency and stop if looks good)
- Salt to taste
- FOR SALAD:
- 1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce, cut in quarters
- 2 pints small cherry tomatoes (red and yellow) sliced in half
- 1 pound crisp cooked bacon, chopped
- crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- avocado, chopped (optional)
- parsley or chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- FOR DRESSING:
- Combine all ingredients in bowl except for buttermilk and salt.
- Slowly add buttermilk tablespoon by tablespoon and stir until consistency is to your liking.
- Taste and season for salt.
- Adjust all seasonings.
- FOR THE SALAD
- Arrange wedges of Iceberg Lettuce on platter.
- Drizzle Creamy Herb Dressing over top.
- Add sliced tomatoes
- Sprinkle Bacon over salad.
- Add Crumbled Blue Cheese if using.
- Add garnish if using.