These Potato Tostadas are everything! From Meatless Monday to a twist on Taco Tuesday, these addictively delicious tostadas have you covered. They also happen to be one of my favorite comfort foods that just hits the spot. That golden brown, crunchy tostada covered with creamy potatoes and topped with all the fixings just does the trick for me. A tostada bar is also a huge hit with the kids. Not only is it colorful and beautiful, it gives them the opportunity to create their own masterpiece for dinner.
Making your own homemade tostada is super easy and worth the extra effort. It takes 2 ingredients (oil and corn tortillas) and 5 minutes. Don’t skip the pickled red onions! They brighten up this meal with a welcome bite of acidity and texture. This tostada is the perfect example of layering flavor as you go and the combination knocks it out of the park.
- For the tostadas: corn tortillas & ½ cup - ¾ cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- mashed potatoes
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- thinly sliced radishes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- avocado or guacamole
- wedges of lime
- pickled red onion (requires lemon)
- thinly sliced green onion
- For tostadas: heat oil over medium heat. Using tongs add one tortilla to oil and fry until golden brown and crisp on each side. Set cooked tortilla on paper towels. Repeat with other tortillas.
- For potatoes: scoop flesh of baked potato into a bowl. Add a few tablespoons of warm milk and a 1 tablespoon of soft or melted butter. Mash until combined and smooth. Salt and Pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings.
- For pickled onions: place thinly sliced red onion in bowl. Squeeze juice of a lemon over red onion. Make sure onion is soaking in the lemon and add a sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- To assemble, slather potatoes on fried tostada and continue to layer with desired toppings.
- Serve with wedges of lime.