Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches are going to change your entire summer. This sandwich is the perfect marriage of two of my favorite treats: frozen cookie dough and ice cream. The combination is so off the charts good and the kids are going to flip for them. As it turns out, the only thing better than cookie dough, is frozen cookie dough topped with ice cream!
Since I’m sure you have been warned about the dangers of eating cookie dough, let’s just put those fears to rest upfront. The reason for concern is the use of raw eggs and bacteria. In this recipe, eggs and chemical leavoners have been eliminated. Milk is added for liquid. You get all of the delicious taste of the cookie dough without the threat of bacteria.
Remember to line the pan with parchment paper that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. You want the edges of the parchment paper to hang over the sides so that you can lift the cookie dough layers out after they are frozen. There is nothing worse than going to all that hard work only to have something stick to the pan.
Kick off summer with the perfect frozen summer treat!
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened when ready to use
- Line 8x8 inch baking pan with two sheets of parchment paper. Paper should hang over edges of pan so that you can lift cookie dough out of pan easily. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Sift mixture and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter with brown sugar and white sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in vanilla and milk.
- Gradually add flour mixture until incorporated.
- Allow mixture to completely cool before you add chocolate chips or the chips will melt and discolor cookie dough.
- Once mixture is completely cooled, add chocolate chips.
- Place half of the cookie dough in the pan. Using hands,press dough down to form even layer.
- Spray both sides of two more sheets of parchment paper and place on top of cookie dough.
- Top with remaining cookie dough and press into even layer.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for an hour or until frozen.
- Remove frozen layers of cookie dough from pan and carefully, remove all parchment paper.
- Layer pan with two more sheets of parchment paper with edges over pan. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Place first layer of cookie dough in pan with flat, smooth side of square down.
- Spread softened vanilla ice cream over layer of cookie dough sheet.
- Top with remaining cookie dough square with flat, smooth side up in the pan. Gently press into pan.
- Wrap pan with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 4 hours or until completely frozen. Overnight is best.
- Use parchment paper to lift cookie dough ice cream square out of pan.
- Run sharp knife under hot water and cut into squares.
*wipe knife with towel and run knife under hot water between cuts.