Asparagus is one of my favorite things about welcoming the spring season.
I love seeing bright green bundles of beautiful stalks popping up all over town at Farmers’ Markets and in produce sections in the grocery stores. Asparagus is truly a symbol of the season and one of my favorite picks for seasonal produce this time of year.
Asparagus is so wonderful and doesn’t need much to shine. My favorite way to prepare this vegetable is simply roasting it in the oven. I coat the stalks in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and pop it into a hot oven for 15 minutes. You may need a few more minutes in the oven depending on the thickness of the stalks but 15 minutes is usually where I call it and pull it out of the oven. You want the asparagus to be the perfect combination of still crisp with tenderness. You just don’t want to over do it and end up with mushy asparagus!
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle enough oil over asparagus to lightly coat stalks.
- Season asparagus with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Spread asparagus in single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast about 15-18 minutes (depends thickness of stalks) until just tender.